Outer Banks

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Parenthood

There are places in your heart that you don't even know exist until you have a child.
~ Anne Lamott

On October 17, 2013, I was promoted to my most important title. I became the mother of the two most amazing little miracles! Ava Nicole Helms was born at 10:36am, weighing 7 pounds 15 ounces and was 18 3/4 inches. Ella Justine Helms was born at 10:37am, weighing 5 pounds 7 ounces and was 17 inches long. We had a scheduled c-section since both girls were breech and Richie was by my side every step of the way. Our little family was now complete!


We couldn't believe how immediately alert both girls were with their eyes wide open looking all around! They felt so good to hold and after a long 9 months, it felt amazing to finally meet them!
The 4 of us were moved to a recovery room immediately following the surgery where Richie and I had some long awaited alone time with our brand new daughters. We checked out their toes, fingers, and perfect little noses. We cried, we hugged, and we gave lots of kisses. We stared, and gawked, and giggled over how lucky we were to have these precious girls enter our lives. I could have stayed in that room for hours, but we knew what was waiting for us...the grandparents!

We are so lucky to have such a supportive family and both sets of grandparents were eagerly awaiting Ava and Ella's arrival. Everyone was over the moon and the initial meeting was love at first sight for everyone.


Grandma and Papa


Papa 


Papa


Memaw and Pawpaw


Ava and Ella both lost over 10% of their body weight in the hospital, which of course made their new parents very nervous. Although Richie and I were anxious to hear that they were gaining weight, the doctors and nurses seemed quite confident that both girls would be just fine and we were released to go home. 


Ava

Ella


We were very fortunate (and extremely grateful) to have Grandma with us the first week we were home because Richie and I had no idea what we were doing! Grandma taught us the secret of bouncing, making up songs, exercises with the girls, and so much more! We would not have made it through the first week without Grandma's help! Thank you Grandma!

Ella and Ava

Ella

Ava

Ava and Ella


We had our first pediatrician visit the day after we left the hospital. We were thrilled to hear that both girls had gained weight and were getting closer to their birth weight!


The weekend after Grandma left we got a special visit from Aunt Nicole! We had so much fun with her and the girls loved being hugged so much! Aunt Nicole was so helpful! She even came with us on our first family outing to Target! Thank goodness she did because I almost had a panic attack and Aunt Nicole saved the day!


Aunt Nicole got the girls dressed for the Jets game and even consoled them when the Jets got crushed! (Sorry girls, but it's going to be tough for you during football season - please know that the whole family is in this together!) 

I keep telling the girls how lucky they are to have each other because there is no better friend than a sister! I know that Ava and Ella will share a bond with each other just as special as the one I share with Nicole!





We were so sad when Aunt Nicole had to leave and can't wait to see her again! We are so lucky though because we get to do face time with her and our cousins, Ryan and Dylan! We can't wait to meet the boys!!


After Aunt Nicole left, Richie and I were finally officially on our own with the girls. We had learned so much during the first week of parenthood, but we had (and still have) a lot more to learn!

I had no doubt at all that Richie was going to be an amazing dad! I've heard so many girls brag that they have the best husband in the world, but when I say that, I know it's true. He is one of the most thoughtful, generous, supportive, and loving people I have ever met! I knew that fatherhood would be no different for Richie. Our girls are so very lucky to call such an amazing man their father!


Daddy and Ella


Daddy and Ava


Daddy and Ava


Daddy and Ella


Our first walk in our neighborhood!


The girls are two weeks old now and I already can't remember what it was like without them! Our lives have changed so much over the past two weeks and my heart is overflowing with love for our little family! I'm so excited for the adventures that lay ahead for us and I know that Ava and Ella will continue to make our dreams come true! We love you both more than you could ever know! xoxo

You are the closest I will ever come to magic.
     ~ Suzanne Finnamore 

3 comments:

nicole said...

Erika and Richie - I am so proud of both of you. You are doing such a great job as parents already and I loved that I got to see you in action. You guys are a great team! Those little girls are so lucky to have you as parents. I love your daughters so much and I can't wait to watch them play with their cousins, go on family vacations together and shop, craft, and a million other things with them!! We already have so much fun together as a family and it is only going to be better now that we have Ava and Ella joining us! xoxoxo love all 4 of you

grandma said...

I couldn't get by the first sentence without being a cry baby. There are no words to explain what being a grandparent means - its something that immediately makes you fall in love and realize that you would already give up anything you have, before you even get to meet this new life or lucky for us 2 new lives. Your girls are bundles of joy that has brought us all such happiness. Richie and Erika - we could not be more proud of you or your daughters - you waited a long time for this and you have everything you ever dreamed of and more!!! Ava and Ella are two of the luckiest girls on the planet - first to be loved by all of us and mostly to have such great parents who are doing an AMAZING job - the fun is yet to come - years and years of laughter, fun times and memories and we will be there every step of the way to share it with you - xoxoxxoxoxx dad and mom

grandma said...

ps - although it may have looked like I had a clue - I didn't - you just do ANYTHING - even standing on your head if you think it will work --- but you will figure it out - hopefully sooner than later - and Richie already taught me the buttons are the way to go trick xoxoxoxx I loved every second of being there and maybe you think I helped you - but I enjoyed it more than you will ever understand xoxoxox