"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."
-Ernestine Ulmer
I am not sure if I have ever met anyone that enjoys ice cream more than Richie. He loves any type of dessert, but cake and ice cream are his favorite (especially when served together!) When my mom comes to visit, you can be sure that we are going to make a trip to some ice cream shop at least once during her stay. Mom also loves ice cream and loves to "share" with everyone - meaning she will have some of your ice cream and you better keep your spoon to yourself!!
During a visit to Friendly's during my childhood, I ordered a sundae known as a "Topper Twister." Against my father's many warnings, I chose toppings such as Gummy Bears, Reese's Pieces, rainbow sprinkles and hot fudge. Surprisingly to nobody but myself, the sundae tasted disgusting. Too embarrassed and proud to admit that I was wrong, I tried my very best to "share" my ice cream creation with the rest of the family; "Mmmm...this tastes so good! Anybody want some?" Shockingly, there were no takers. Too bad Buster wasn't under the table - I am sure he would have eaten it for me. I can't remember how much of the sundae I actually ate before I threw in the towel, but "Topper Twister" has become a well known term in our family since my Friendly's experience. Although I still love ice cream, I limit my toppings to rainbow sprinkles and occasionally, hot fudge.
Nicole, Jay, Ryan and Dylan came to visit this past weekend to help me celebrate my birthday. We had an awesome weekend and stayed busy from morning to night each day. There was very little down time, but when there was we were most likely eating. It was a gorgeous day on Saturday and we were walking along the Cape Fear River in downtown Wilmington when we spotted an ice cream shop. We could smell the sugar from the street and didn't have any trouble convincing the rest of the gang to make a stop for some dessert. The first thing we saw when we walked in were the waffle machines (pictured above) and the freshly made waffle cones (pictured below) - YUM!!
Ryan immediately asked for the "Superman" ice cream, which was every color of the rainbow or as the Markman family likes to call it, a "Topper Twister!" I ordered chocolate peanut butter (hold the Gummy Bears please!) and Richie ordered cookies and cream. As you can see below, Richie has a similar style of sharing ice cream as mom does. I can't speak for Ryan or Richie, but my ice cream was delicious!
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ice cream...and that's kind of the same thing."
4 comments:
LOL - "TOPPER TWISTER"!! even Jay regularly uses that term now. I think it was not a sundae though - wasn't it like a shake? I love that picture of Richie. That day was a ton of fun
xoxooxoxo
It was not a shake. It was very similar to a Blizzard.
I'm pretty certain that kilwins chocolate peanut butter is the reason for my freshman 15 in college ;) soooo good! All nice pictures, but I really like the waffle maker one.
I never understand when I visit you guys how you can possibly have any ice cream left to save for the next day when my dish doesnt have a drip or drop in it. Richie treats me to ice cream every time I visit and I LOVE our trip to the ice cream store. I didnt think that you noticed that I ate mine so fast and was looking around - NOW I realize why neither one of you are sitting next to me. I just thought it was a fluke that nobody was close enough for me to "taste" the rest of theirs - Richie is making my mouth water in the picture. I am now counting the days for my visit and our regular trip to clean my plate at my restaurant and then my bowl at the ice cream store xoxoxxxx
Post a Comment