Outer Banks

Thursday, February 23, 2012

52 Week Project: Week 8 - Winter





"When it snows, you have two choices:
shovel or make snow angels."
-Author Unknown

For weeks I have been very nervous about the winter post. We have had sunny days in the 50's and 60's here in NC with no sign of winter. Even Sir Walter Wally (the Raleigh groundhog) surprised us all with six more weeks of winter. How can we have six more weeks of winter when we haven't seen one week of winter yet? Apparently, Sir Walter Wally knows a thing or two! On Sunday evening Richie and I were pleasantly surprised when we looked out the window...snow was finally falling!!! I grabbed my boots, hat, coat, and camera and ran outside while Richie watched from the window. It was so pretty and I love the sound of the snowflakes falling.








The snow did not last very long and was melted by the morning, but I was happy to see it. We even had a two hour delay the following day!

Snow is not very common in NC and cold means it is in the 30's or 40's. Although I was born and raised in NY and even went to school in Plattsburgh, living in NC for eight years has made me quite spoiled when it comes to weather. Four days after our "snowstorm" we had a different type of winter day. It was 74 degrees today with beautiful blue skies. People were wearing shorts and short sleeves and enjoying being outside as much as they could. I am tracked out from school right now and met Richie for lunch. When I went to pick him up this is what I saw:






When I think of winter in NY the following words and images come to mind: freezing, wind, mittens, hot chocolate, gray skies, dead trees, snow, plows, shovels, and snow angels.

When I think of winter in NC the following words and images come to mind: cool, sunny, blue skies, flurries, and two hour delays with no snow!

I choose a NC winter!

(Taken today: Our daffodils are starting to grow!)

5 comments:

mom said...

please bring me that beautiful pink tree. It would be perfect right in the front of the house and everyday I could look at it. xoxox mom

PS... Better yet - I think I will have to come there very soon to see it myself!!

nicole said...

er- i think that you are the only adult that gets excited when it snows in NC!!! Pretty funny that you had a snow picture and I couldn't get one. I cant wait to see the daffodils when they bloom
love you

Michael said...

Pink tree #1 is a radical picture.

Richie's afraid of snow!!!! He thinks he's gonna melt. Hahahahahhahahahahaha

Michael said...

Pink tree #1 is a radical picture.

Richie's afraid of snow!!!! He thinks he's gonna melt. Hahahahahhahahahahaha

Michael said...

Pink tree #1 is a radical picture.

Richie's afraid of snow!!!! He thinks he's gonna melt. Hahahahahhahahahahaha